Salcombe named number one seaside destination for UK holidaymakers
While the UK is still recovering from over a year of pandemics and lockdowns, more and more holidaymakers are beginning to appreciate the beauty of their own home country and are planning their holidays on Britain’s beautiful shores. McCarthy Stone conducted a poll to find out what coastal parts of the UK are the most popular with holidaymakers, and we are happy to reveal we got first place!
With our turquoise green waters, picturesque harbour, and mouth-watering local delicacies Salcombe (understandably) came out on top, with almost a fifth of the vote (18.5%); it’s not hard to understand why when you witness the nautical beauty of South Devon. As the McCarthy Stone poll shows over 68% of Brits are still uncomfortable with travelling abroad for their holiday, but here in Salcombe, we show that there is no need to fly to the south of France to experience gorgeous sun, luxury homes and incredible restaurants.
Now we may be slightly biased, but to us, it was no surprise our town is as popular as it is, but if you need proof, then come and visit and you will realise what all the fuss is about.
Why we were voted number One
If you have ever been to Salcombe, you won’t need us to remind you why our little gem by the sea is worth visiting, but if you haven’t, let’s look at some of the exciting activities and sights to see in our stunningly azure seaside town.
- Sailing: You don’t have to be a swarthy sea dog to enjoy the sailing in Salcombe, you can hire a boat or take powerboat courses while your down so that by the time you leave you will be a veritable Neptune of the waves
- Beaches: We have a list of our best beaches here if you are having trouble figuring out which ones to pick, but when you get here you will realise that every amber coloured shoreline will fulfil your need for rest and relaxation.
- Walking: We go on and on about how gorgeous Salcombe is, but what better way to prove this than going on an exhilarating walk around our rugged coastline. Take a look at some of our blogs on the subject here to give you inspiration for where to take your walk.
- Crabbing: Virtually anywhere you stay in Salcombe is close to a good crabbing spot, and for those that stay with Salcombes finest at the luxe service levels, we give kids a brand new crabbing linen, bucket and spade, plus some bacon in the fridge for bait (remember to throw them back!).
- Events: At Salcombe, we are always hosting events and putting on a show. Every August we host the Salcombe regatta, which has been running for 150 years now! Along with raising money for charity if you come to the regatta you can enjoy cream eating competitions, a medley of music and food, as well as beautiful fireworks at the conclusion of the celebrations, so it’s a no brainer for us when to schedule the holiday in the calendar!
Ultimately this summer can be the perfect opportunity for you to finally visit all of the best this country has to offer, and if you are going to go on holiday to the coast, why not start at the top of the list of best places to visit? At Salcombes finest we are dedicated to helping you and your family have the ideal getaway vacation, so feel free to get in touch with us if you have any questions and we look forward to seeing you!